Privacy & Security Notice
- DIMOC.mil is provided as a public service by the Office of the Assistant Secretary of Defense-Public Affairs Defense Visual Information Directorate.
- Information presented on DIMOC.mil is considered public information and may be distributed or copied unless otherwise specified. Use of appropriate byline/photo/image credits is requested.
- Privacy Act Statement - If you choose to provide us with personal information – like filling out a Contact Us form with e-mail and/or postal addresses – we only use that information to respond to your message or request. We will only share the information you give us with another government agency if your inquiry relates to that agency, or as otherwise required by law. We never create individual profiles or give it to any private organizations. DIMOC.mil never collects information for commercial marketing. While you must provide an e-mail address or postal address for a response other than those generated automatically in response to questions or comments that you may submit, we recommend that you NOT include any other personal information, especially Social Security numbers. The Social Security Administration offers additional guidance on sharing your Social Security number.
- For site management, information is collected for statistical purposes. This government computer system uses software programs to create summary statistics, which are used for such purposes as assessing what information is of most and least interest, determining technical design specifications, and identifying system performance or problem areas.
- For site security purposes and to ensure that this service remains available to all users, this government computer system employs software programs to monitor network traffic to identify unauthorized attempts to upload or change information, or otherwise cause damage.
- Except for authorized law enforcement investigations, no other attempts are made to identify individual users or their usage habits. Raw data logs are used for no other purposes and are scheduled for regular destruction in accordance with National Archives and Records Administration guidelines.
- Unauthorized attempts to upload information or change information on this service are strictly prohibited and may be punishable under the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act of 1986 and the National Information Infrastructure Protection Act.
- If you have any questions or comments about the information presented here, please forward them to us using the DIMOC.mil Contact Us page.
- Cookie Disclaimer - DIMOC.mil does not use persistent cookies (persistent tokens that pass information back and forth from the client machine to the server). DIMOC.mil may use session cookies (tokens that remain active only until you close your browser) in order to make the site easier to use. The Department of Defense DOES NOT keep a database of information obtained from these cookies.
- You can choose not to accept these cookies and still use the site, but it may take you longer to fill out the same information repeatedly and clicking on the banners will not take you to the correct link. Refer to the help information in your browser software for instructions on how to disable cookies.
Notice of and Consent to Monitoring
You are accessing a U.S. Government (USG) Information System (IS) that is provided for USG-authorized use only. By using this IS (which includes any device attached to this IS), you consent to the following conditions:
- The USG routinely intercepts and monitors communications on this IS for purposes including, but not limited to, penetration testing, communications security monitoring, network operations and defense, personnel misconduct (PM), law enforcement (LE), and counterintelligence (CI) investigations.
- At any time, the USG may inspect and seize data stored on this IS.
- Communications using, or data stored on, this IS are not private, are subject to routine monitoring, interception, and search, and may be disclosed or used for any USG authorized purpose.
- This IS includes security measures (e.g., authentication and access controls) to protect USG interests -- not for your personal benefit or privacy.
- Notwithstanding the above, using this IS does not constitute consent to PM, LE, or CI investigative searching or monitoring of the content of privileged communications, or work product, related to personal representation or services by attorneys, psychotherapists, or clergy, and their assistants. Such communications and work product are private and confidential.
What are cookies?
Cookies are bits of information web sites gather from you, either automatically or through your input. These bits of information are stored on YOUR computer, not the Web server. When you return to a site that has stored cookies on your computer they can read them and perhaps provide you with tailored information, address you by name, send you to a part of their site you visited earlier, and even log you onto a secure site automatically!
Some things to know about cookies are:
- Cookies can only be read by the Web server that put them there. Other sites cannot use the information you provided to our site, for example.
- Cookies cannot store personal information unless you manually enter the information. Information about where you visited, when you visited, the last time you visited, what browser you run, and other similiar information, can be gathered automatically and stored in a Cookie. Your name, email address, SSAN, credit card information, etc. CANNOT be gathered automatically,you must enter it on a form first!
- You can configure your browser to warn when a cookie is being set. This allows you to accept or reject cookies manually.
Cookies are required for our site's advanced functions to work
We store your username in a cookie. This is then used to complete the search string for the pre-defined searches. (Pre-defined searches are any search NOT executed from the advanced search page.) If you don't use the pre-defined searches then the cookie isn't required. The username is also inserted at the front of the site address to speed log in. We DO NOT automate the log in.
Cookies are also set when you use the 'lightbox' function. This simply stores the name of the last lightbox you visited, and the number of columns being viewed. If these cookies don't exist the defaults are used.
That's it for the present. As you can see, we don't store anything of a personal nature in our cookies. We recommend you allow our site to run unhampered to the greatest benefit and the most features.
Where are these Cookies?
As stated above, the cookies are stored on your computer. Learn more about cookies for Internet Explorer or Firefox. All our cookies are session cookies with the exception of the lighbox cookie. This means that the cookies are deleted when you close your browser.