Visual Information Policy Updates
Defense Imagery Management Operations Center
Feb. 4, 2019 —
Joint Publication 3-0 “Joint Operations” incorporating Change 1, 22 October 2018
• This publication is the keystone military doctrine document of the joint operations series. It provides guidance to joint force Commanders (JFCs) and their subordinates to plan, execute, and assess joint military operations.
• Change 1 incorporates the newly established “Information” as a joint function. Joint functions are related capabilities and activities grouped together to help JFCs integrate, synchronize, and direct joint operations.
• The information function encompasses the management and application of information and its deliberate integration with other joint functions to change or maintain perceptions, attitudes, and other elements that drive desired behaviors and to support human and automated decision making.
• Combat Camera and Public Affairs are now cited as Joint Force capabilities and activities for leveraging information power.
“Imagery is one of the most powerful tools available for informing internal and domestic audiences and for influencing foreign audiences.”
Joint Publication 3-61, “Public Affairs”
(Currently in Request for Feedback (RFF) stage)
This document was included in the CY 2018 Joint
Doctrine Formal Assessment.
• RFF Released: July 2018
• RFF Phase Completion: January 2019
Comprehensive new Public Affairs Issuance:
DoDI 5410.19: (in Pre-Signature stage).
This instruction is composed of four volumes, each with a specific purpose.
• Volume 1, “DoD Community Outreach Activities: Policy Overview and Evaluation Procedures.”
This volume includes policy on the commercial use of visual information.
• Volume 2, “DoD Community Outreach Activities: OSD Outreach Programs,
Speaking Engagements, and Support to Non-DoD Organizations”
• Volume 3, “DoD Community Outreach: Honors to National Symbols; Annual Patriotic and Military Observances”
• Volume 4, “DoD Community Outreach: Ceremonial and Aerial Demonstration Support”
Full revision of DoDI 5040.02 “Visual Information” (in initial review stage).
• Adds new policy on the use of personal cameras.
• Adds new section on required VI documentation.
• Adds new section on VI as public information.
• Incorporates and cancels DoDI 5040.07 “VI Productions."