DoD Instruction 5040.02, Visual Information
What is DoD Instruction 5040.02?
DoD Instruction 5040.02, Visual Information, is the flagship document of the Department of Defense Visual Information program. This document governs all VI-related Visual Information activities of Public Affairs, Combat Camera and other VI-related functions of the Department of Defense.
Additionally, DoDI 5040.02:
- Establishes policy, responsibilities and procedures for managing DoD VI records, resources and activities.
- Establishes prohibited alteration policy to ensure the absolute credibility of official DoD imagery in and outside the DoD.
- Authorizes the Joint Combat Camera (COMCAM) Program, the DoD Joint Combat Camera Planning Group (JCCPG), and the Defense VI Steering Committee (DVISC).
- Authorizes the establishment of the Defense VI (DVI) Directorate and the Defense Imagery Management Operations Center (DIMOC).
- Prescribes procedures for the use of the VI Professional Identifier (Vision ID) and the Defense Visual Information Activity Number (DVIAN).
Who needs to be familiar with it?
All DoD and U.S. Coast Guard personnel (military, civilian and contractor) who create, produce, edit, submit and release official Visual Information.