Defense Visual Information, headquartered at Fort Meade, Md., leads the Department of Defense VI community, executes VI proponency and performs centralized VI lifecycle management.
Leading the DoD VI community
Under the authority and direction of the Assistant to the Secretary of Defense for Public Affairs and the Director, DMA, DVI maintains a portfolio of VI management expertise to ensure community management and oversight to organize, train, and equip VI missions across the joint force. DoDD 5122.05, Sec 2, Para 2.1.i.
DVI executes the VI proponency mission by advocating and promoting the planning, coordination, creation, use, distribution, and preservation of official VI records relating to agency operations, programs, persons, places, things, and official matters pursuant to Sections 3101 and 3102 of Title 44, United States Code (U.S.C.), and Section 1220 of Title 36, Code of Federal Regulations (CFR). There are two primary DVI proponency functions:
- Developing and overseeing the implementation and effectiveness of VI policies and procedures for the DoD VI program, which includes the Joint Combat Camera (COMCAM) Program, life-cycle management of DoD VI productions, products, records, VI activity management and concepts of operation for employing VI capabilities.
- Operation of senior DoD-level governance groups. These include the Defense VI Steering Committee (DVISC), the Joint Combat Camera Planning Group (JCCPG), the Defense Production Management Group (DPMG), and the Visual Information Editorial Board (VIEB).
Central VI Management
DVI is the lead DMA component responsible for the agency’s mission to “ensure high-quality information products, including Combat Camera imagery depicting U.S. military activities and operations, are available and rapidly distributed throughout DoD” (DoDD 5105.74 para 3.4). There are three DVI central VI management activities:
- DVI administers central VI management of current operational and non-current historical VI by overseeing the activities of the Defense Imagery Management Operations Center (DIMOC).
- DVI provides management oversight of the Joint Combat Camera Program through the Joint COMCAM Program Manager (JCCPM).
- DVI also fulfills its central VI management role by engaging with the Military Services, the Joint Staff, Office of the Secretary of Defense, the Combatant Commands, the Defense Video Imagery Distribution System (DVIDS), and related communities of interest to develop common VI standards, information resources, practices, and workflows across the Department.